Saturday 18 June 2016

Brittney M.




I first met Brittney back in 2010, a few months after my brother and his then girlfriend (now wife), Sam, started dating. My best friend and I went to a party with Sam and Brittney, then all snuggled into bed together that night. Who would have thought Britt would marry one of my brother's best friends a few years down the road?! Brittney has such a glowing, positive vibe about her. She is full of joy and inspiring words of wisdom; check out her website!

Where are you from and where are you now?

I grew up in Alliston and am now living in Barrie. I haven't moved around lots and am very much a local small town girl. What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated? I'm currently working on getting my condominium license. I'm taking 4 online courses at the exact same time. It's challenging but knowing that there's opportunity for me at the end of it is my light at the end of the tunnel. What does confidence mean to you? To me confidence means feeling comfortable in your own skin. Confidence is looking beyond the flawed skin and allowing your heart and soul to pour out. Confidence is walking with your head high not because other people tell you you're beautiful, but because you know your outside matches the beauty that's inside of you. Where does your confidence come from? My confidence probably starts out from my mother. She was always the most encouraging person in my life and no matter how many times I failed or changed my life's direction, she was always there to tell me I'd be fine and make it through. What do you love about yourself?  a) Mentally?
I like that I've always tried to see the best in people. I've trained my brain to see the good. I'm only human and some people test my skills so hard I truly see the bad; but for the most part, I can always find the good!  
b) Physically? I naturally am happy in my own skin. I have many flaws but can look past them enough to be truly blessed with the body I was given. But I really like my back, as weird as that sounds; I feel really sexy in a strapless shirt
 
c) Emotionally? I'm a pretty emotional person. I cry at commercials, songs that come on the radio, and every single wedding speech. I also love pretty big. I would gladly sacrifice anything for people who mean the world to me. I get truly happy by the little things in life- when my puppy poops outside, when my husband messages me just to say hello. I might be an emotional roller coaster but I love experiencing all of life's feels. What is one of your greatest accomplishments? Marrying a man I admire so dearly. Do you find you compare yourself to others often? There's no point in doing so. We are all so different; we have different flaws and accomplishments. Where we lack someone else might prosper but it works both ways. That person that we envy is most likely envying us for something different. What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are
working to overcome? I am fortunate enough to not have had to experience struggles like some people in the world. Some people grew up without a family that loves them. Some people don't know how they are going to afford their next meal. I've never experienced anything like that., but when I was younger I used to get exhausted easily and even fainted and seizured. I was in the hospital and they did what's called a bleed test. They give your arm a small little slit and watch you bleed while timing it. They can only watch you bleed for 30 minutes until they must stop it. Most people naturally clot in 2-5 minutes, but I hadn't stopped bleeding when the half hour mark came due. It was a learning experience for sure. I have it under control now. But in comparison to most I'm fortunate enough to have never really had to overcome something. What always makes you feel better? Talking things out. Especially to my mother. Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve? I would like to be more decisive. It's nearly impossible for me to make decisions!
What is one of your insecurities? I'm insecure about the fact that I'm not in my career. I'm taking courses for something I see being in my life forever but I'm not established in it yet. My husband is one of the hardest working people I know. Because of this he's more than established. He's trusted in his industry. I'm so proud of that man. Sometimes I'm insecure about where I am in my life compared to him. How do you deal with jealousy? I don't think I'm an overly jealous person but if there was someone I were to ever feel threatened by I think the best approach is getting to know them. Understand that person so well that they no longer are a threat. Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way? Of course I do. In this world we live in, who doesn't. Facebook says this person is having a baby, yet you were married first. Instagram shows you someone on a safari yet the closest you've ever been to that was the zoo. It's hard not to compare your life to others, but it's also easy to forget all the wonderful things in your life that other people don't have. When I feel pressure about not being established in my career I remember the fact that I'm my own person. I learn differently and I won't settle for less than what I want. Society has a funny way of only showing us the good yet reality has a funny way of not always being so good. It's important to understand the life people portray online might not always be as glamorous as they present it to be.

Who has helped shape who you are?
Everyone who has ever stepped in my life. People are either lessons or blessings; they come into your life to sharpen you. It's how you decide to shape who you want to become. What is the most important part of a romantic relationship? Trust. You must trust that person almost more than you trust yourself. You must trust that that person will have your back no matter what. That that person honestly wants what is best for you. You have to trust that they want the relationship as bad as you do and trust that if rocky roads come they will fight for your relationship as hard as you will. What are three things you are grateful for today? The memories and family my husband and I have created, formed, and combined. Parents that only wanted the best for me. Chocolate. What book should I read and why? If you ever kept a journal as a child I recommend reading that. It always amazes me when I look back on my life from my own perspective 2,5, 7, even 10 years ago. Sometimes it's easy to feel like you're in a rut and have not progressed. Then you look back on your life and see how much you've grown, changed and adapted. Reading the words you wrote so many years ago is a humbling, powerful and healing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment