Tuesday 28 June 2016

Dixie O.


Meet my sister! We met 20 odd years ago when my dad and her mom started dating. Growing up I was the annoying little sister; always copying, and always wanting the same things- which, to my excitement (and her frustration), our parents accommodated by giving us the same gifts in different colours. Eventually I got a bit less annoying, and we became sisters AND friends! Dixie has always been strong and motivated. She is one of the hardest workers I know, an independent woman, is crafty, beautiful, and goes for what she wants. I have countless memories of lazer tag, summertime bike rides and rollerblading, and not-so-age-appropriate movie marathons (sidenote: American Pie has a much different meaning watching it at 9 years old than watching when you're halfway through your teens). We're much different in many ways, but I couldn't be happier with my very first sister :)

Where are you from and where are you now? 
I was born on a hot summer day, in downtown Toronto. I grew up in the ghettos of Brampton, Ontario. After a prolonged educational and social experiment in London, Ontario, I moved to the bustling metropolis of Copper Cliff, Ontario.

What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated? 
My primary goal in life right now is to escape from the crushing student debt I have accumulated during my educational journey. The prospect of a full life, with a large family, a comfortable home and a picturesque property keeps me motivated.

What does confidence mean to you? 
To me, confidence is not relying on anyone else for approval, acceptance or direction. That does not mean one cannot consider other's opinions on these matters, as these varying angles of perception can be helpful in making life decisions.

Where does your confidence come from? 
My confidence is rooted in necessity; I have been and/or felt alone for the majority of my life. As giving up is not an option, I feel I had no other choice but to become strong and independent. This strength has been a double-edged sword; I believe I have become so independent that I alienate others and don't allow anyone close to me. This is something that I need to overcome. As much as my strength has given me, and taken from me, I do cherish it. I don't believe I would have been able to do as much as I have without it. 

What do you love about yourself?
I have a love-hate relationship with my hands; they allow me to create and disassemble things with ease. I have also been able to work with my hands, from installing ceramic tile, to crocheting stuffed dinosaurs, and taking apart a pump to understand how it works. My hands, however, do not know how to relax. Some type of project needs to be on the go, constantly.

What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
I believe one of  my greatest accomplishments was just recently with a severe knee injury. I was told things like 'you're just getting old', and 'you'll have to quit sports and physical activities' by some of the people closest to me; I did not accept this. With lots of physical therapy and following through with stretches and strengthening exercises, I have rebuilt the lost muscles and pushed myself to staying on this road. Arguably, I believe my leg is in the best shape its been in in over 15 years.

Do you find you compare yourself to others often?
I find I compare myself to others more often that i would like. I think about their lives and their accomplishments; all that they have achieved. I find myself jealous in some of these circumstances. I try to remember that we are all on different journeys, taking different routes. I remind myself of all I have done and all that I have and aim for contentedness.

What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are working to overcome?
I find myself afraid of addiction. Addiction to things I have seen the effects of first-handed. I find each time I encounter such things, I am reminded of those closest to me that have struggled with addictions, some who have overcome this, and some who have not. I am disappointed in myself that I do not have the courage to reach out to those I am concerned for. I hope one day I can overcome my own fear of rejection to help those I love, and my fear of becoming that person.
Our nephew :) 

What always makes you feel better?
When i find myself dizzy with thought, or overwhelmed by something, I can always be lost in a good movie. I can always throw on a good movie, and tune life out for a while, just to take a break. This can help me organize my thoughts and look at my issue from another angle. This doesn't necessarily make me feel better, but it allows me to take a mental break.

Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve? 
I would one day like to make myself more emotionally available. I block out those closest to me, convinced I can handle all situations on my own. I want to allow myself to think that even though I could handle it on my own, I don't have to.

Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?
I don't feel pressured by societal norms to be a certain way or live a certain way. I do what I think is right and necessary, and attempt to keep myself entertained along the way.

Who has helped shape who you are? 
I feel that out of all impacts on my life, my paternal grandmother had the largest. She had the respect of everyone she met, she helped a lot of people through counselling and continues to help me everyday. She is the reason i began studying the environment. I wanted to save the planet, focusing on water - it is the life source we need. 

What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?
I believe the most important part of a romantic relationship is being able to be yourself completely and that person accepting and loving every flaw, every perfection, every detail as you. Having no inhibitions around that person, I think makes that a well-rounded and balanced relationship.

What are three things you are grateful for today?
I am grateful for those who have impacted my life, in positive and negative ways. Without these, I would not be the person I am.
I am grateful for my family - not only my blood relatives, but everyone I have come to know and love.
I am grateful for my sense of humour. I think I would not have the mental capacity to deal with some of the major emotional traumas in my life, and in the world without finding something funny in it. I want people to know that this does not mean that I do not care, its the only way for me to process a situation. 

What book should I read and why?
Read whatever book you want to. If it sucked, don't read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment