Thursday 28 July 2016

Barbara W.

I met Barbara through her wonderful daughter, Samantha, in grade 9. Barb is one of the most generous, hospitable, sweet women I know. The Whites were kind enough to employ me for a few summers, working for Jeff White Property Maintenance. One of those summers, I tagged along with them to an Eagles concert. They surprised Sam and I with a limo (my first one!) to take us all down to Toronto to a beautiful dinner, followed by the concert. I'll never forget that! Barb is well known for a lot of work she does in the community, such as the Prom Night for Cancer fundraiser the Whites put on every year. She put up with my teenage shenanigans and is still someone I try my best to see every time I'm back home. Not to mention she makes the best damn pickles in probably the entire world, and she saves multiple jars for me every year. What a woman!

Where are you from and where are you now?
I was born in Rhinbeck, New York while my parents were there for business. My Dad worked for I.B.M. So we moved every couple of years. I traveled with them around the world until my teens.
I now live just north of Barrie with my family and have been in this area since 1992.


What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated?
I don’t want to say that I have reached all my goals because my bucket list gets longer as I get older, but at 52 I am really happy where my life has led me so far.


What does confidence mean to you?  
For me confidence means doing your best. If you can honestly say you have completed whatever you are doing to the best of your ability then there is a reassuring confidence in that.


Where does your confidence come from?
My confidence comes from my family and friends. I am surrounded by an amazing group of people that fill my life with love and laughter everyday


What do you love about yourself?
         a) Mentally? 
I appreciate good conversation and humour. I love when I can interact with other people that are quick witted and the conversation flows easily.
         b) Physically? 
My hair – honestly, I grew up in the 70’s …..not much else to say really :)
         c) Emotionally? 
That I cry easily. That may sound sappy, but I love that I am still connected and in touch. So many people can become hardened as they get older.


What is one of your greatest accomplishments?  
Well as a mother I have to say my children…….. don’t I? But in all honesty they are my greatest accomplishments.  
I have three beautiful children that make me proud everyday. I can honestly say that I enjoy spending my time with them.


Do you find you compare yourself to others often?  
I am a woman…..so YES, all the time. But seriously, it's hard not to compare yourself to others in today's society where everything everyone is doing is right in front of you. But I try to embrace our differences and learn and live with kindness. No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.


What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are working to overcome?
I have a little bit of an A personality. I have been compared to Monica on Friends more than once and it is an ongoing thing I work on everyday. That being said though, if you are going to help fold the towels do it right the first time so I don’t have to redo them.


What always makes you feel better?
Music. I don’t play an instrument, and singing out loud is painful, mostly to others, but still, painful all the same. Music fills me with so much happiness.


Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve?  
I tend to be over sensitive…..I guess that goes along with what I love about myself as well.
I take everything to heart and feel too deeply at times, hence the crying……but I do need to learn not to internalize EVERYTHING!


What is one of your insecurities?  
I have never liked to be the center of attention. With all the events I have planned and been involved with I know people find that hard to believe, but I have always maintained that I am a “behind the scenes” person. I will organize anything or anyone, just don’t make me speak in front of people. I just may throw up!


How do you deal with jealousy?
At my age I have managed to out grow jealousy……not to say the green eyed monster didn’t get the best of me at times. It’s just important to remember that nothing can be forced… if it’s meant to be, it will be.


Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?  
In my 20’s and 30’s for sure I felt pressure….wedding, houses, kids, bills, friends…. everywhere you turned there was pressure to make the right decision. Not only for yourself but for the three children you were now responsible for. However there is a sense of peace that comes with age.  At the end of the day the most important thing is not where you live, or what school you went to; the most important thing is: are you happy?


Who has helped shape who you are?   
My parents. I wasn’t fortunate enough to have them in my life for very long.  They both passed away within 8 months of each other when I was 28. But going forward, everything I did or tried to do was in hopes that they would be proud of me. I still hope so.


What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?  
To me the most important part of a relationship is fun. It is important that you enjoy each other’s company and share the same interests. Love is amazing and can literally change your life, but you have to like the person you love. I am lucky enough to be married to my best friend who makes me laugh every day.


What are three things you are grateful for today?   
My past, My present, My future


What book should I read and why?
The Four Agreements by : Don Miguel Ruiz – I try to read this book every year

No comments:

Post a Comment