Thursday 4 August 2016

Kaylie W.

Kaylie and I met in high school; I think when I really got to know her more was in our grade 11 leadership class. Kaylie has this contagious laugh, and she laughs a lot. Unfortunately the year I decided to pick up and move to the other side of the world was when many of my friends decided to make the move to Toronto; Kaylie being one of them. You know those people who are just... so cool? That's Kaylie. I just see her as being a super cool, chilled, fun, happy chick. Not to mention logical and comfortable in her own skin. She's someone who is always fun to hang out with, has a great sense of humor, and has this great little dog called... Little Dog.

Where are you from and where are you now?
Where are you now? Do you ever think of me, in the quiet, in the crowd? …
^ I’m going to Mumford tonight, so it’s clearly on my mind.
I grew up in Barrie, ON. From there I moved to Vancouver, BC for about 4 years, and
I relocated to Toronto in 2014.


What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated?
I want to continue learning and expanding in every way possible. There are so many things I want to see and experience, so I guess it depends day to day what my motivation may be. I’m very self-competitive and have high standards for myself, so that continues to drive me.


What does confidence mean to you?
Focusing on your own personal standards of becoming the best version of yourself, and reflecting that out into the world.


Where does your confidence come from?
My irreplaceable network of friends and family. I am so fortunate to have some of the most unique, intelligent (insert every respectable adjective here) and confident people in my life. My relationships are the glue that hold me together and inspire my confidence.


What do you love about yourself?
a) Mentally?
My ability to find humour in almost every situation and I like to believe I’ve become fairly rational and balanced in most aspects of my life.


b) Physically?
My eyes, legs and butt (is it appropriate to say that?)


c) Emotionally?
I’m not an overtly emotional person – I can still be a complete hormonal mess at times, but I try to make a conscious effort to recognize a situation for what it is, and react carefully. I have developed a pretty strong resiliency, because no matter the case, you’re never able to fully control what life may throw your way.


What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
Hmm, this is a hard one. I’ve had the opportunity to experience and be part of many amazing things, but I can’t really pinpoint something in particular.


Do you find you compare yourself to others often?
Yes. With social media and seeing other peoples (often edited) lives it’s hard not to. It’s impossible to avoid self-comparison in our culture, and it’s easy to forget that perfect photos aren’t equivalent to a perfect life. Although, travelling the world on a yacht doesn’t seem like the worst thing.


What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are
working to overcome?
Seeing people close to me go through unjust hardships. It’s a struggle for me to accept that good people can get dealt shit luck. I do my best to see the silver lining, but when there is no reason or rationality, I don’t always deal well.


What always makes you feel better?
Little Dog, live music, adventures, a good laugh…


Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you
would like to improve?
Absolutely, there’s always room for improvement. I’m constantly working on taking each thing as it is, without over thinking or over complicating.


What is one of your insecurities?
Showing vulnerability/asking for help.


How do you deal with jealousy?
I think that goes with learning to manage your emotions: taking a step back, and trying to detach from it …or I just repress it.


Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?
It’s nice to live in a city/time here there is a pretty widespread acceptance about people’s lives not necessarily fitting into perfectly packaged boxes. That being said, I sometimes find myself wanting to do it all and have it all, instantly, which I need to learn to let go of.


Who has helped shape who you are?
My mom has had a huge impact on who I am today – losing her at a young age forced me to grow up somewhat quickly. She has always been, and will continue to be, a constant strength within me.


What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?
This is also a tough question, being single and all. I think fun, respect, and continuously challenging and motivating each other are key aspects. I guess the most important part of a successful relationship comes down to compatibility.


What are three things you are grateful for today?
All the people in my life, my dog, and my home.


What book should I read and why?
Looking over to my bookshelf, I’m with the Band is one that I’d like to re-read, and with my love for Gord Downie, along with recent news, I’m going to take a look through Coke Machine Glow (that has been sitting there collecting dust for who knows how long …I’m glad I looked).

No comments:

Post a Comment