Thursday 11 August 2016

Lisa P.

Lisa and I met in grade 5, and became great friends over the years of elementary school. I have so many memories of spending days lazing in the sun at her cottage on Bob Lake, skinny dipping late at night, and singing our hearts out to songs from 'The Lizzie McGuire Movie'. One night in grade 9 we decided to sneak out solely for the purpose of going for a walk around the neighborhood (our parents didn't believe us either... but it's true!). We left the screen off the window upon our return, which her dad noticed while cutting the grass the following morning... and the rest is history. Woops. Like so many of the amazing women featured on here, Lisa comes from an incredible family full of strength and courage. Lisa has always been full of confidence in herself and love for those around her. So, without further ado...

Where are you from and where are you now?
I am originally from Barrie, and have lived in Hamilton since 2009.

What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated?
While completing a Bachelor of Science degree at McMaster University (2009-2013), I began experiencing increasingly troublesome digestive issues. My body started changing in ways that I simply could not comprehend. As a gym employee, and fitness enthusiast, I had been healthy and happy with a body fat percentage around 25%. However, within 6 months of developing these digestive problems, I had lost 10% of my total body fat, and was experiencing the effects extreme fatigue, joint pain, and nutritional deficiencies on a daily basis. 

In the several years that followed this transition, I was prodded, poked, and continually doubted of my condition, which led to both anxiety and depression, all while trying to complete my degree. And then it happened; the world finally made sense…I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease.

Today, I am proud to say that not only have I obtained my Bachelor of Science with honours from McMaster (and a teachable minor in French!), but also am continuing my education to work towards my goal of helping others with Crohn’s Disease as a Registered Dietician of Canada (prospected: April 2017).

There was a point in my life where I was dealing with chronic pain, yet receiving a lack of support from medical professionals. My goal in life is to ensure no child, adolescent, or young adult ever feels alone in a battle with food, digestion, or the health care system. So let’s eat!

What does confidence mean to you?
Confidence is simply a love for the self. It is standing up for your beliefs regardless of ridicule. It is appreciating your body for all it can do, rather than its restrictions. It is accepting that imperfection is beauty, and that our ‘all’ is always good enough. Finally, confidence means loving yourself in order to let others love you too.

Where does your confidence come from?
Although confidence ultimately stems from within, I do believe that the way in which we come to perceive ourselves is highly influenced by those around us - confidence is malleable. Therefore, I think my parents developed my confidence as a young child, which was then influenced by others as I grew up.

However, now, as a young adult, my confidence seems to be directly correlated to the successes and failures I experience in my life. For example, when I reach for goals, and achieve them, I feel confident. Yet, when I perceive myself as having failed, my confidence shifts. In all reality, this is likely the result of a school system that defines a student’s success by a number, and compares students on a regular basis.

What do you love about yourself?
a) Mentally? 
Fortitude - Life doesn’t always turn out the way we planned; in fact, it rarely does! Momma Pope always used to tell me: “When one thing breaks, three things end up breaking. Brace for the storm!” Fortunately, or unfortunately, Momma is always right! 

You see, (1) gorgeous Momma Pope was diagnosed with stage III HER-II breast cancer in November 2014…then (2) six weeks later, my maternal grandmother passed away… and (3) well there’s always a third right?…My sister, a 28 year old mother to two beautiful baby boys was diagnosed with stage IV Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in June of 2015. 

Life doesn’t always turn out the way we planned, but how we choose to adapt to these situations is what defines our fortitude. Ultimately, I decided that I too would fight alongside my mom and sis, battling to complete my nutrition degree throughout their treatments. Although there have been many bumps in this road (e.g.: deferred examinations, dropped courses, extended graduation dates), I continue to fight daily, and am prospected to finally graduate this coming April.

“And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed. 98 and ¾ percent guaranteed!”

b) Physically? 
I admittedly love that I am small enough to fit into children’s sized clothing and shoes; thumbs up pricing for the starving university student of 7 years!

c) Emotionally? 
My empathy and ability to understand others is my strongest emotional asset. The reality is that life is not easy; and I get it! I will not impart judgment on your choices, and I will provide emotional support/advice if ever sought after.

“If you were me, and I were you, for just a day, or may two, then maybe you, and maybe me, could see the me that you were too.”

What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
Independence!  
Inline image 1
Do you find you compare yourself to others often?
All of the time; not because I want to, but because I have to…the school system has done a wonderful job in making all of us very good at this skill!

What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are working to overcome?

Accepting that your loved ones are suffering, and yet having zero control to improve their situations.

What always makes you feel better?
Bear hugs…and cheesecake (> slices = > happy)

Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve?
(1)    Self-doubt/ the negative impacts of judgment from others
(2)    Achieving goals set by my personal wants and needs, not those set by the expectations of others

What is one of your insecurities?
I will not find a long-term romantic partner because I am ‘diseased’.

How do you deal with jealousy?
I am very self-aware, and naturally compare myself to others. So I try my best to avoid social media when I am mindlessly browsing the net to curb any potential jealousy of others. 

Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?
Absolutely! I am a single 26-year old female, with no kids, and seemingly no career. Society pressures me on a daily basis to feel that I am not where I ‘should’ be in life. Yet, I feel as though I am exactly where I should be, and precisely where I want to be. The way I see it, if you don’t live in my shoes for 24-hours out of each day, then you have no right to judge the choices I make on my own path to success. I define my timeline; and I define my experience…and in the end, I feel like I might just turn out okay!

Who has helped shape who you are?
(1) My parents
(2) My exchange partners/parents - an understanding of different cultural/social norms has  influenced how I see the world
(3) Friends close to home and far away - backpacking/humanitarian work/volunteering

What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?
Finding a partner who truly believes you are perfect in all of your imperfections. This requires compromise, compassion, and acceptance.
“If you can’t handle me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my best”

What are three things you are grateful for today?
(1) Cancer treatments
(2) Family
(3) Disabled washrooms - An invisible illness, is still an illness!

What book should I read and why?

Oh the place’s you’ll go - Dr. Seuss
The road to success will have some bumps…but it’s much easier to accept when read in rhyme! 

No comments:

Post a Comment