Wednesday 24 August 2016

Britt L.

Ohhhhh Brittany. Britt is this extremely outgoing, beautiful, silly, active, inspiring, hard working woman who I was lucky enough to befriend in Mr. Larose's grade 10 math class. She is another who I'm convinced can make friends with anyone. When I was home, my sister-in-law and I took one of her barre classes and I couldn't really feel my body the next day; I wish I could be a regular. I would without a doubt recommend taking one of Britt's classes if you're looking for a good workout and phenomenal instructor. Check out her Facebook page here, give it a like, and go get your butt kicked! She's also one of my favourite people to have copious amounts of sushi and wine with. I secretly wish she could teach me to dance. A woman of many talents to say the least!

Where are you from and where are you now?
I am from Barrie, ON and here I am back living in Barrie, ON!

What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated?
Right now I am working towards many different goals. Health goals, personal goals, and career goals. I am lucky that I have chosen a career where those categories often combine.  One personal goal of mine is to help rescue and foster shelter dogs. I have a very strong passion for pups, and this is something that is very close to my heart. My health and career goals also often collide. I am working towards building my business, Barre Essentials, by becoming more involved in  Barrie’s fitness community. I want to be known as Barrie’s go to gal for Barre and Pilates. I am also working towards finding BALANCE among all the things I would like to accomplish. And always working towards LEARNING more to become the best teacher I can be for my clients and dancers. One of my favourite quotes I’ve been using lately is “Once you think you know everything, you know nothing”.

What does confidence mean to you?
Confidence to me means being true to yourself and what you believe in, taking risks, and being unapologetic for who you are. There is no one in this world that can be a better version of you than yourself.

Where does your confidence come from?
My confidence comes from my passions in life, goal crushing achievements, and the people I choose to surround myself with. Staying driven and true to myself gives me purpose and meaning that I don’t have to prove to anyone but myself, and that gives me confidence.


What do you love about yourself?
         a) Mentally? 
I’m hilarious… lol. I feel my sense of humour and silliness often comes in handy for the field of work I am in. It makes others feel relaxed and comfortable!

         b) Physically? 
I love my hair :)

        c) Emotionally? 
My sensitive nature. I may have shed a tear or two talking about my dog, or listening to a song, or reading a message from someone important. I love hard for those who have left an imprint on my heart. Sometimes it can be embarrassing, but I often celebrate it and just poke fun at myself.

What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
One of my greatest accomplishments is something that is ongoing. I feel so privileged to live a life where I get to inspire and motivate others to achieve their fitness and dance goals. It is the most rewarding feeling when someone acknowledges you for making a positive change and difference in their life. Being a dance instructor for kids anywhere from 3 - 18 years old and knowing that I have helped them reach a goal, or have had a meaningful impact on their life in the studio, means the world to me.

Do you find you compare yourself to others often?

I do, and more than ever I am becoming more aware of it. I preach self love to my dance students, fitness clients, friends, and family. We are all doing our own things, at our own time for a reason. I have been better at being real and asking myself why the heck am I comparing myself; is there something I am unhappy with? If so, how can I change it?

What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are working to overcome?
As I said earlier, I am working to find balance. I need to learn to exercise my right to say “No”. I am often concerned with working as much as I can, to gain as much experience as possible. But then I find myself physically exhausted and wishing for more hours in a day!

What always makes you feel better?

Lincoln. Lincoln is my 1 year old rescue pup that is honestly my life. I’m obsessed. It’s a problem, but I don’t care. Nothing feels better than coming home from a long day to Lincoln waiting to greet me at the door with a nice slobbery smooch. Moving also makes me feel
better, too. I always feel refreshed and energized after taking a class that someone else is teaching. And Chocolate… duh.

Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve?

I would love to improve on my creativeness as a choreographer. I often use the word “innovative”, and I am constantly thinking of new ways to visually blow people's minds!

What is one of your insecurities?

My skin! I suffer from psoriasis, and it can seriously be such a pain in the ass!

How do you deal with jealousy?
I try to learn from my jealousy; once I admit to myself and acknowledge that I could actually be jealous that is, lol. What is causing me to feel jealous? How can I overcome it or is there something I can actively do to alleviate this feeling? Or just let it goooooooo…. “Bye, Felicia!”

Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?
I definitely have in the past. At age 17, I had a plan that I was going to go away to school to get my degree in Linguistics and Cognitive Science. Then I would move to NYC to do my Masters in Speech Pathology, graduate, marry my high school boyfriend, and live happily ever after. I am SO happy that didn’t happen, but at that time I felt the need to meet the expectation to get a traditional education, get married and start a family. I am so thankful that my experiences have lead me in this direction. That route may make certain people very happy, and successful. For myself, not so much. There is no particular way anyone should feel expected to live their lives. Follow your gut feeling and trust the timing of your life.

Who has helped shape who you are?

I know this going to sound vague, but I truly believe every person you encounter in your life shapes the person you are at this moment. The good relationships, and the bad. The small moments, and the big ones. From my family, to friends, to dance teachers and coaches, to my students and even people who come in and out of your life in the matter of hours. They have all affected me, and helped shape me into the type of individual I am, and who I am striving to be.

What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?
COMMUNICATION. TRUST. FUN. Love is simple, don’t complicate it by not doing those things!

What are three things you are grateful for today?
To have the ability to share my love for movement with members of my community, and for it to be a stable and steady thing.

Long term friendships with those who have been in my life since my adolescent years! I love that I have close friends all over the world, doing great things, and still when we get together we can pick up exactly where we left off.

The forever supportive crew of people I surround myself with, who constantly challenge me to be the best I can be!



What book should I read and why?
You are a Badass by Jen Sincero. This is a how-to book… which I normally feel strange about. BUT, it is refreshingly funny with some great advice on how to quit doubting yourself and make all your bad ass dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment