Thursday 1 September 2016

Breanne D.


I met Bre in University in a class that we both ended up dropping. I could not relate more to Bre's answer about her insecurity- I feel the exact same way. Thankfully as soon as we started talking I knew she was one of my people, and we ended up living and working together second year. We spent multiple nights taking too many shots, eating an entire Dominos pizza plus delicious carby desserts, and I have shared some of the worst hangovers of my life with her as well. Jack Daniels was spoiled for me for many years. Third year we both moved away from Ottawa and I have barely seen her since, but can't wait to visit her out west. Bre is a fun, spontaneous, beautiful, generous, amazing woman. She is so easy to talk to without judgments. I barely stayed in contact with anyone I met in Ottawa, but I will always consider Bre a good friend.

Where are you from and where are you now?
I am from Whitby, Ontario; a suburb at its finest. I grew up there and moved to Ottawa for a few years to attend university when I was 19. I currently live in Vancouver, BC and think it is the most amazing city in the world.

What goals are you working towards and what keeps you motivated?
I am currently working towards the goal of being able to afford buying my first home with my boyfriend. Vancouver real estate seems a bit out of reach, but it is worth it. The idea of putting down roots here and starting a family is what motivates me.

What does confidence mean to you?
Confidence means being comfortable in your own skin, being proud of who you are and loving yourself even with your imperfections. Confidence is beautiful inside and out. It’s like Dr. Seuss said; “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

Where does your confidence come from?
My confidence is the result of love. Love from my mother and bestfriend/boyfriend specifically. Growing up I was insecure and shy, but my Mum always encouraged me to grow into myself (literally…I am really tall) and she set such an amazing example for me. She is a beautiful, confident and fiercely independent lady. My boyfriend pushed me to be my best self and venture outside of my comfort zone, that’s when I really flourished into the confident woman I am today. Learn to love yourself and you will find your confidence.

What do you love about yourself?
a)Mentally?

I am a very logical and levelheaded person. I believe I am very stable and I have always been very witty.

b) Physically?
I love my height. This used to be a big source of insecurity for me, being taller than most people I met (men included) and all the other kids growing up, but I have learned to love it.


c) Emotionally?
I always try to see the good in people. I always put others first and would do anything for the people I love.


What is one of your greatest accomplishments?
One of my greatest accomplishments was having the courage to move across the country and start fresh with no family or friends out here. Also becoming the general manager of my own restaurant after moving up the ranks in the company in 3 years.

Do you find you compare yourself to others often?
Comparison is the thief of joy….So I try not to.

What is something in your life that you have had to overcome, or that you are working to overcome?
I have had to overcome my fear of public speaking in order to be successful in my career. This is an ongoing battle, which I am working to master.

What always makes you feel better?

Dancing like a goofball with my boyfriend, having a good belly laugh, facetiming my dogs at home and going for night drives while listening to music.

Is there anything about yourself- mentally, physically, or emotionally that you would like to improve?
I would like to be more emotionally open with my feelings and I would like to be more health conscious. Don’t get me wrong I am never going to stop eating tasty food, but everything in moderation, right?

What is one of your insecurities?

I am extremely awkward around new people, especially in large groups, and I tend to retreat back into my shell. I really hate small talk and so meeting new people who I don’t naturally click with can be painfully awkward.

How do you deal with jealousy?

I always try and put myself in the other person’s shoes, or think about how

I would like something if I was in their position. When I feel jealous I remind myself, everything happens for a reason, and what is meant to be will be in the end regardless of the energy I put into being jealous. If someone cares about you they won’t make you jealous (at least not on purpose).

Do you feel pressured by societal norms for your life to turn out a certain way?
I used to, but I don’t anymore. I went to university because it was what I thought I was supposed to do, when really I had no idea what I wanted to do. Now I don’t care about being ‘normal’, that actually sounds pretty boring.

Who has helped shape who you are?
My mum has had such a huge impact on me, she was my role model growing up for sure. She was and is such a strong independent woman who overcame so many things in her life and always set a good example for me. She taught me to be strong and not to take shit from anyone. Then there is my boyfriend who is my best friend. He has pushed me to achieve things I never thought possible for myself. He helped me learn to really love myself for who I am.

What is the most important part of a romantic relationship?
Trust. Love. Support.

What are three things you are grateful for today?
My relationship, my family and my health.

What book should I read and why?

Alicia: my story. I read this in my teenage years and it opened my eyes to real pain and suffering. If she could overcome the things she did in her life then anything is possible. It is gritty and sad but I’ve always been a sucker for a sad story.

No comments:

Post a Comment